Estrine Museum history – Saint Rémy de Provence 13210
The museum is situated in a very beautiful private mansion l’Hotel Estrine which was built in 1749. It is an exceptional testimony of C18th Provencal architecture and was the house of representatives of the Princes of Monaco who were lords of Saint Rémy from the reign of Louis XIII. The public collection at the Musée Estrine, an associative museum and labelled ‘Museum of France’ by the minister of culture in 2007 is today preserved and shown to the public. It is dedicated to C20th /21st paintings and graphic art.
In 1986 this historic building was awarded the Prize of Patrimony by the Fondation de France. Now with its new extension and planning layout it has allowed the museum to exhibit, next to its permanent collection, a temporary collection and also gives the public a place of mediation (educational workshops and conference centre) and a centre of interpretation devoted to the life and work of Van Gogh. The museum is adapted to welcome handicapped people (lifts etc).